Dangerous BBQ foods for pets
We hope you are having a good week enjoying the sunshine. With summer coming to an end it’s time to squeeze in the last few BBQs. It’s a great way to bring friends and family together and enjoy time out in the sunshine (while it lasts). Pets love BBQs – especially the love and attention they get from the people around and of course the leftover food. There are some BBQ foods that can be dangerous to your pet(s) though.
Here is a top 10 list of dangerous BBQ foods.
Here is a top 10 list of dangerous BBQ foods:
1. Onions – Any member of the onion family can cause serious problems for your dog’s red blood cells. Although it would take a large amount to cause any serious problems, it is not worth taking the risk.
2. Chips and pretzels – Salt is a big concern for pets, too much salt can cause a lot of serious problems. Chips and pretzels are massively high in salt and should be kept away from pets. In small quantities it can cause thirst and excessive urination but in larger amount it can be much more serious and lead to sodium ion poisoning. If your guests enjoy treating your pets then ensure they are aware of this and provide a small amount of your pet’s favorite treats.
3. Grapes/ Raisins – Grapes in a fruit salad or raisins in coronation chicken? Watch it like a hawk! Grapes and raisins can be fatal for dogs and are connected to the development of kidney failure. Some dogs eat them and are fine, when others eat just a few and get very sick. The symptoms will start to show within 12 hours followed by 3 – 4 days before kidney failure. Long–term kidney disease can occur in dogs who were unaffected earlier in life. Ensure all guest are aware of this and make sure that grapes and raisins are kept out of your dog’s reach.
4. Ribs and other bones – Dogs and bones seem a natural combination but they can actually be very dangerous. Dogs can easily choke on the bone or the bone could splinter causing a puncture in the digestive track. Dogs will beg and steal to get themselves a tasty bone but all guest must be informed to not give them any and the keep them out of their reach.
5. Chocolate desserts – This is one of the most known dangers but many people still do not know. Chocolate is very toxic to dogs and even more so when it is sugar free or sweetened with Xylitol. Chocolate poisoning can lead to arrhythmias, muscle tremors and seizures.
6. Corn on the cob – Dogs do not understand that you have to eat the kernels and leave the cob. If the cob is digested, then it can cause a dangerous intestinal blockage. But don’t let uneaten corn go to waste, cut off the kernels and put them in your dog’s bowl.
7. Too much fatty meat – Although hamburgers and steak are not toxic for dogs, too much of these fatty meats can cause pancreatitis. So if you have a large amount of leftovers, give them to your dog(s) over a series of days.
8. Hot Dogs – An excessive amount of hot dogs isn’t good for anyone, especially dogs. The excessive amount of preservatives and salt can cause diarrhea and digestive problems. As well as being a choking hazard. If you have hot dogs left over, cut them up into smaller pieces and only give a small amount to your pooch.
9. Guacamole – Avocado contains a toxic compound called Persin, which is dangerous for birds, rabbits and horses. It can cause respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the heart and even death. Although avocados only cause stomach distress in cats and dogs, the added garlic and onions in the guacamole is pretty toxic.
10. Alcoholic drinks – This may seem obvious but it is very easy to leave an alcoholic drink unattended. Alcohol is toxic to both cats and dogs. Even the smallest sip of beer or wine can be dangerous. Ensure all alcoholic drinks are kept out of your pet’s reach.
Although it seems mean to not give your pet(s) these delicious foods, It is important to keep your pet safe and ensure all your guest are aware of these dangers. There are many dog friendly BBQ recipes available and a bowl of your pet’s favorite treats will stop guest giving your pet anything they shouldn’t have.